Standing Firm: Securing Your Stance in the Spiritual Fight.
- Everyone anchors their life with something or someone.
- The problem is, if our anchor is faulty it will inevitably fail us.
BIG IDEA: Standing firm in our faith demands to suit up in the strength of our God
- What is the anchor of our lives?
- We each have an anchor in something, and it’s important that we have an anchor.
- But, the real question is what is our anchor because we have a tendency to trust faulty anchors.
Five Faulty anchors:
- Some of us find security in the things that we possess.
- We can see many examples of people who are wealthy and horribly miserable.
- Relationships are good and important but they make a faulty anchor.
- Inevitably, people leave, fail us, and die.
- What happens when the job is lost or changed significantly or difficult?
- It’s a faulty anchor and should not anchor our souls.
- This is a massive cultural issue. Sex rather than baseball is the cultural pastime.
- Sex is an empty pursuit.
- What comes out of us when we lose control?
- If it’s not the fruit of the Spirit but the fruit of the flesh, then we know that control is our anchor.
- These are all good gifts of God but they are faulty anchors.
- God’s great gift is the one true anchor that will never fail us.
Refer back to Ephesians 6:10-17
- Paul is picturing a 1st-century Roman soldier.
- The sandals of the solder had a main purpose to hold one’s ground in a fight.
- As Christians, we are called to put on the shoes of the gospel of peace and stand firm in our faith.
BIG IDEA: Only the gospel secures our standing in the spiritual fight
- We have to get our minds around what God calls the gospel of peace.
- We all have a proclivity to forget the gospel.
- God the Father reconciled the world to Himself through the work and word of His Son Jesus Christ.
Gifts of the Gospel of Peace:
The gift of peace with God
By Grace Through Faith
And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins. In which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience. Among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others. But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us. Even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved. And raised us up together, and made us sit together. In the heavenly places in Christ Jesus. What the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God. Not works, lest anyone should boast. His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
Brought Near by His Blood
Therefore remember that you, once Gentiles in the flesh who are called Uncircumcision by what is called the Circumcision made in the flesh by hands. We were all dead in our sins, children of wrath, and enemies of God.
God loves you even in your worst moment that He chose to reconcile you and make you alive in Christ.
- Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
- We are justified by faith, not by works. It is not by faith and _________.
- Genuine faith will produce many other things, but the other good things do not contribute to our salvation.
- The most dangerous reality in this life is walking as an enemy of God but feeling like you are saved.
- Don’t ignore the merciful warning and offer of God.
- What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?”
- If we have peace with God, our standing is secure.
The gift of peace of God
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
- We should not be anxious about not only the small stuff but everything because God is sovereign and good.
- We are to fight worry with worship. We are to fight anxiety with prayer.
- Anxiety disorders are the most common disorder and affect 40% of adults.
God promises peace when we offload our anxiety through prayer
- God ALWAYS keeps His promises.
- The inverse is true as well.
- There will be little peace when there is little prayer.
- If you are anxious and worried, could it be that you are not offloading it in prayer?
Make a list of everything currently that is causing you anxiety
- When you are done, pray through each item and lay it at His feet and chose to trust Him
with it and then wait for the Lord to give you peace.
- This is not a one-time thing but is an ongoing rhythm of life.
To not pray is a sin
- Prayerless will steal the peace of God from you.
The gift of peace with others
Brought Near by His Blood
Therefore remember that you, once Gentiles in the flesh who are called Uncircumcision by what is called the Circumcision made in the flesh by hands. That at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus, you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.
Christ Our Peace
For he himself is our peace, who has made both one and has broken down the middle wall of separation. Having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace. And that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity. And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near. For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.
Christ Our Cornerstone
Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God. Having been on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone. In whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. In whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit. Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord.
If you do not strive for peace with others, you should examine yourself to be
sure that you are truly saved.
- Anyone that leaves a wake of broken relationships behind them should think about whether they are truly saved.
- Sin keeps us from extending the very thing that we have received from God.
- God has forgiven us for a debt that we could never repay, but how often have we refused to forgive one another.
- The reconciling grace of God toward us should result in a desire and a decision to show reconciling grace toward others.
- Have you done everything in your power to pursue forgiveness and reconciliation with others?
- Where is there work for you to do?
Only the gospel secures our standing because it gives peace with God and then we can pursue peace with others
- Do you know this gospel of peace?
- This is not a question of information, but transformation.
- Biblical information is not what it’s about.
- We can know the gospel but have no relationship with Jesus and have no transformation in our lives.
- Knowing doesn’t matter. We MUST be transformed?
We need Jesus
- As Christians, do we preach this gospel of peace to ourselves?
- We have to get better at preaching the gospel of peace to ourselves over
- It is not enough to hear preaching from our pastors on Sundays.
- We need to preach it to ourselves.
Are you feeling the conviction of the Holy Spirit in this study?
I know I did when my Pastor preached it
My sincere Prayer is that it will change the hearts of ALL who read it.
Be sure to read more on the Armor of God Series
- Study on the Armor of God Part 5
- Study on the Armor of God Part 6
- Study on the Armor of God Part 7
- Study on the Armor of God Part 8