- 1 BINDING the SPIRIT OF DISTRACTION to spiritual attention
- 1.1 What is the Biblical Definition of Distraction?
- 1.2 The Problem with having a spirit of distraction
- 1.3 What Causes Distraction?
- 1.4 QUESTIONING GOD’S INTENT: my spirit of distraction
- 1.5 What does the Bible say about focusing on God?
- 1.6 Nothing catches god off guard
- 1.7 What is the root of spirit of distraction?
- 1.8 What do you do when you’re questioning God’s intent?
- 1.9 What does the Bible say about setting your mind on things above?
- 1.10 spirit of distraction should not be based on feelings
- 1.11 How do you stay spiritually focused?
- 1.12 Binding spirit of Distraction to spiritual attention in 7 ways
- 1.13 God is worthy of worship regardless of our circumstances
- 2 In closing on BINDING the SPIRIT OF DISTRACTION TO SPIRITUAL ATTENTION IN 7 WAYS
Do you face the spirit of distraction during worship? Does your mind wander when you should be focused on Him? If so, do you find yourself focusing on those around you instead of giving God your full undivided attention?
In other words, did you go with a half-hearted attempt and just go through the motions? God is worthy of our whole heart of worship. Our primary focus should be on Him and to worship him with a spirit of humility and honor!
I appeal to you, therefore, brothers by the mercies of God to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Romans 12:1
DON’T FORGET TO PIN ME FOR LATER
BINDING the SPIRIT OF DISTRACTION to spiritual attention
I am going, to be honest. There are many times when I have attended the Worship service with the wrong attitude. There are so many times that I battle this spirit of distraction when I should be praying for God to help me focus on him alone.
What is the Biblical Definition of Distraction?
- 1. The act of distracting; a drawing apart; separation.
- 2. Confusion from a multiplicity of objects crowding on the mind and calling the attention different ways; perturbation of mind; perplexity; as the family was in a state of distraction.
- 3. Confusion of affairs; tumult; disorder; as political distractions.
- 4. Madness; a state of disordered reason; franticness; furiousness. We usually apply this word to a state of derangement which produces raving and violence in the patient.
- 5. Folly in the extreme, or amounting to insanity.
My mind is so preoccupied with so many different things that I do not give God my full attention. Have you felt like this before?
My Church has been in a season of transformation for a while now. I find myself getting so discouraged.
The Problem with having a spirit of distraction
As humans, we tend to focus on the outward issues surrounding us at times instead of focusing on what really matters…Our relationship with God!
What we focus our minds and hearts on and where we direct our attention matters. The world is passing away but our spirit remains forever!!
What Causes Distraction?
Distraction is caused by the lack of ability to pay attention; lack of interest in the object of attention; or the great intensity, novelty or attractiveness of something other than the object of attention.
What is causing my spirit of distraction? Members of my church family are leaving.
I have in the back of my mind all these lingering doubts and questions what is next to happen and who is gonna leave next Lord?
You grow a relationship with your Church family and then they decide to move on somewhere else.
In a sense, it feels like they’re leaving you too. I totally get it and I understand why they feel the need to move on elsewhere. It’s not like the Pastors and Elders aren’t doing a great job because they are.
I don’t know how to explain why I am so troubled because I love my church but I can’t deny that I do not understand what’s happening. I find myself questioning God.
QUESTIONING GOD’S INTENT: my spirit of distraction
During services lately, my mind is so overwhelmed with the circumstances around me that I dwell on that instead of focusing on my Savior and that is so NOT cool!
It’s frustrating when you start to nick pick every service just looking for a reason to say you know what God I’m just not feeling it today!
- Can I just leave now Lord?
- This doesn’t feel right!
- Everything seems off!
- I can serve you better at home.
- However, in my Spirit I’m questioning where are you God and why do I feel this way?
- I am overwhelmed by life and it is tough!
- What is wrong with me?
- Why is the Church going through this?
- Why are you letting it, go on like this God?
- Step in and do something!
Talking about having the wrong attitude. I’m even ashamed to be admitting it to you but it is the truth. The following is so very truthful in the spirit of distraction.
What does the Bible say about focusing on God?
You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you because he trusts in you. Isaiah 26:3
Blessed are those who keep his testimonies, who seek him with their whole heart. Psalm 119:2
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31
Nothing catches god off guard
God knew beforehand all the changes that we’re gonna take place. I know I need to trust his wisdom in all things. God will bring the completion of what he has started he will finish.
Thank goodness for God’s grace in our lives! Sweet friends, you can hide your feelings from the people around you but you can not hide what lies within your heart from God.
For nothing is hidden that will not be made manifest, nor is anything secret that will not be known and come to light. Luke 8:17
What is the root of spirit of distraction?
I attend Church every week sing along with the worship team hear the sermon from God’s word and place my ties and offering in the basket as it passes me by.
But at times I feel like I’m doing it out of habit and obligation instead of honoring God.
I too have been thinking about going elsewhere like so many others have but then I feel guilty for even considering it. This has been my Church home for about five years.
We even host Lifegroup at our home. I can NOT let them down by considering going somewhere else.
First, I want to make it very clear my relationship with God is stronger than ever. I’ve grown so much in my walk with God.
What do you do when you’re questioning God’s intent?
Now I don’t know about you sweet friend, but I’m finding it rather hard binding the spirit of distraction due to questioning if I’m attending the Church where God wants me to be.
My struggle is real but it feels like a game of tug of war. I’ve even gone to husband and told him how I feel in my heart.
I do know one thing I do not want to feel this way and I desperately need peace.
Usually, I plaster a big ole smile on my face while telling everyone I’m fine and all is good but that statement is far from the truth lately.
However, that being said I know my focus should be God and Him alone during this time of turmoil.
What does the Bible say about setting your mind on things above?
In the spirit of distraction, God wants all of our worship. He deserves our full attention especially when we walk into his sanctuary. Give God your full spiritual attention.
We should have nothing on our mind but complete adoration for the one who gave up his life for us so we can have eternal life in Heaven.
I’ve decided regardless of the turmoil I have in my spirit I must separate that when it comes to giving God my worship.
spirit of distraction should not be based on feelings
Worshipping God should never be based on feelings of the unknown. It should be based on one truth alone…God is worthy to be praised! Period!
So if you are struggling like me listen to the Holy Spirits prompting. He will never steer us in the wrong direction.
How do you stay spiritually focused?
- Keep Praying and trust that God will work everything out in His timing, not ours.
- Keep putting your faith and trust in God, not on the circumstances.
- Know that God will work it all out for His Glory!
- Put the situation in God’s capable hands and give God the worship he deserves.
Binding spirit of Distraction to spiritual attention in 7 ways
- Identify what your spiritual distractions are.
- Pray for God to help you find practical ways to remove distractions from your mind.
- Pray and ask God to reveal through His word what your focus should be on.
- Take out your Bible and start reading to minimize distractions and place your focus on what it should be on.
- Pray about what stands out to you the most as your reading and truly focus on the Holy Spirit’s leading.
- Apply what you’ve read to eliminate distractions.
- Keep a journal to write things down. This will help you stay focused.
God is worthy of worship regardless of our circumstances
Sing to Him, sing praises to Him, tell of all his wondrous works! 1 Chronicles 16:29
Give to the Lord the glory due to His name, Bring an offering, and come into His courts. Oh, worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness! Tremble before Him, all the earth. Psalm 96:8-9
Oh, come, let us worship and bow down, Let us kneel before the Lord our Maker. Psalm 95:6
In closing on BINDING the SPIRIT OF DISTRACTION TO SPIRITUAL ATTENTION IN 7 WAYS
The most important thing to keep in mind when binding the spirit of distraction is one truth we can cling to. What lies ahead may not be known but our relationship with God remains.
We don’t have to fear our circumstances surrounding us. Our joy is in the Lord! Lay your distractions at the feet of Jesus today.