For you formed my inward parts, you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works, my soul knows it very well. (Psalm 139:13-14).
When I look in the mirror, and I see my reflection, I can’t find my identity, as being beautifully made.
I am NOT just meaning outward appearance, I’m also referring to who I am in general.
Can you relate Friends?
If you were asked to define your identity, how would you describe yourself? I’m a Wife. I’m a Mother. I’m a Daughter. I’m a Grandmother. I’m a Sister. I’m an Aunt. I’m a Niece. In my case, I’m a Phlebotomist.
All these identities tell a story, of who you are, or what you hope you’ll become. Your identity is how you view yourself.
I listed 10 negative ways we see ourself
Not a very good way to identify ourselves is it?
Do you see yourself in these categories?
Have you lived a lifetime of shame, due to sexual abuse of some kind?
Is being a victim how you would identify yourself?
Have you used drugs or alcohol, as the way to identify who you are?
Is that how you want to continue identifying yourself?
Maybe you have lived a life of abuse.
If so, I can relate to that.
I experienced almost 15 years in a marriage of abuse, and I still carry those emotional wounds and scars to this day.
When I married my husband now, Mike, I didn’t know how to receive the love he was showing me.
I didn’t know how to receive a compliment at all. I still don’t, to be honest.
Before I rededicated my life to Jesus Christ, I had no Peace or Joy in my life.
I felt condemned all the time.
I blamed myself for EVERY single bad choice in my life and felt I didn’t deserve God’s love.
I had NO self-worth.
I was burned-out, worn-out, miserable and frustrated, with who I was, and what I let myself be.
If you are trying to find your identity, in ANYTHING, other than Jesus Christ, you will NOT find it!
I listed 10 other ways we identify ourself with
- Marital Status
- Economic Status
- Ability or Disability
I want you to realize, the most significant identity, you can EVER describe yourself to be, is a Son and Daughter of the most high king.
Friends, Jesus Christ, is the one and ONLY way, you will EVER find your true worth.
ANYTHING apart from him will leave you feeling dissatisfied and empty.
God creates a “new identity” for us as a child of the most high God. We are Son’s and Daughter’s, who has been forgiven.
We are Son’s and Daughter’s, who has awakened, to the fear of the Lord, and knows that we find our identity in him alone.
God is the one who determines who we are!
If we could just see ourself as he does!
We Are God’s Beloved Children, and that my Friends, is where our identity is found.
I’m so Thankful for that! Aren’t You?
Satan Loves to get in our minds and have us doubt who we are in God.
That’s his job.
Satan knows if he can control, who we perceive ourself to be, he can control how we live, speak, think, and keep us bound in chains of doubt, on how we see ourself.
Satan planted seeds of doubt, from the beginning in God’s word.
Now the serpent was more cunning than any beast of the field which the LordGod had made. And he said to the woman, “Has God indeed said, You shall not eat of every tree of the garden?” (Genesis 3:1).
Satan wants you to doubt your value and identity in God.
However, Jesus Christ is the protector of our identity, the rescuer of our souls and the One who overcomes!
To fight Satan’s lies about who we are, we must guard ourselves with God’s Word, the best place to discover our true identity.
10 Scriptures to remind ourself that our identity and worth is found in Jesus Christ alone
- You are altogether beautiful, my love, there is no flaw in you. (Song of Solomon 4:7).
- God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved. God will help her when morning dawns. (Psalm 46:5).
- And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord. (Luke 1:45).
- For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. (Ephesians 2:10).
- Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed. (Psalm 34:5).
- She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. (Proverbs 31:26).
- You shall be a crown of beauty in the hand of the Lord, and a royal diadem in the hand of your God. (Isaiah 62:3).
- An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. (Proverbs 31:10).
- Strength and honor are her clothing, and she shall rejoice in time to come. (Proverbs 31:25).
- But by the grace of God, I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me. (1 Corinthians 15:10).
I know many of the scriptures I used, are leaning more towards women, but they hold the same meaning, for men also. When you’re starting to question your identity, go seek the one, where your identity is found.
Your Sister in Christ
Welcome! My name is Angie and I’m all “about” sharing the unconditional Love, Hope, and Salvation, that is found in my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ! I’m just a nobody wanting to tell everybody about somebody…JESUS CHRIST! I write about my ups and downs, my struggles and insecurities, but above all else, I share how God brings me through it all. Let’s continue our walk with Christ together.